What is YouTube Shorts? YouTube Shorts is the platform’s bid to match other prominent video platforms such as Instagram Reels and TikTok. It’s a new way to create short-form video content and expand your social media marketing efforts.
In this blog post, we’ll show you what this new strategy is all about and how to use it to boost your video marketing results.
• What are YouTube shorts?
• How to make YouTube Shorts
• How to upload shorts on YouTube
• How to monetize these videos
• Why work with a video marketing company
Let’s dive in!
What Is YouTube Shorts?
TikTok is currently the king of short form video. But what a lot of people don’t know is that YouTube actually started in short-form video format. The very first video to appear on the video platform giant is only 18 seconds long. It’s titled Me at the Zoo and was uploaded on April 23, 2005. YouTube Shorts brings the platform back to its roots.
So, what is YouTube Shorts for? With YouTube Shorts, you can create short-form vertical videos that are 60 seconds long (max). It is lightweight, making videos a lot easier. It also allows you to connect to users you may not have been able to reach before. Best of all, the YouTube Shorts aspect ratio is primed for mobile devices, where most people – your target audience – are.
How To Make YouTube Shorts
The video creation process for YouTube Shorts can be done right on your phone. Video marketing expert or not, you now have a streamlined way of creating compelling, impactful videos.
YouTube Shorts also comes with its own video creation tools that are easy to use for beginners but powerful enough to benefit experienced creators. These tools can be used to capture and edit videos.
YouTube also allows you to record videos using other third-party tools and upload them to the platform afterward. This means you can record your videos using any device and then upload them through the YouTube app.
Here are some of the features you can expect from YouTube Shorts:
• Separate viewing experience from regular videos
• Multi-segment camera that allows video creators to string multiple clips
• Video speed playback controls
• Option to record music
• Timers that allow you to record videos hands-free
• Allows you to pull sample audios from eligible YouTube videos and Shorts
• Text feature that you can add to the timeline (you control when and where it will appear)
The beta version of YouTube Shorts was launched in India in September 2020. It was then rolled out in the U.S. in March of the following year. Since then, it has been rolled out to the U.K. and 26 countries around the world. As of July 2021, YouTube Shorts is accessible to more than 100 countries globally.
Why You Should Start Using YouTube Shorts Now
What are YouTube Shorts and its features if not for creating content that your audience will watch? Making the best shorts on YouTube is an exciting new method to promote and advertise whatever you’re selling. But there’s more to it than marketing per se.
Some creators have been asking if they should jump in early and cash in before it goes mainstream? The short answer is yes (pun intended). A lot of content creators and marketers on YouTube are already doing it.
Here are some of the biggest reasons why you should start now:
• You will reach YouTube’s two billion users.
• YouTube will pay you a maximum of $10,000 a month; the company has already set up a YouTube Shorts Fund amounting to $100 million, which will be used for payments until 2022.
• The outlook for YouTube’s short-form video content is pretty good with 6.5 billion views daily.
Some have asked if regular videos will be negatively impacted by Shorts, and YouTube executives clarified that it won’t. Shorts will cater to a different audience, and the algorithm won’t send notifications to subscribers who prefer regular long-form video content.
YouTube Shorts Monetization
We touched on YouTube Shorts monetization a little bit in the discussion earlier. We mentioned the YouTube Shorts Fund, which is currently the only way you can monetize your shorts.
It’s still unclear how short-form video creators will be paid after the fund is used up. The top two ways to monetize your videos on YouTube:
• YouTube Partner Program: You get a revenue share from the advertisements displayed on your videos.
• Sponsored Content: You get paid by sponsors as an influencer creating content for their brands.
Short-form video isn’t long enough; it isn’t as easy to use the same YouTube Shorts monetization as before using their Partner program. At the moment, anyone can participate in the fund by simply creating and uploading short videos on the platform.
How To Qualify for the YouTube Shorts Fund
According to YouTube’s Director of Global Partnership Enablement, Amy Singer, they will reach out to creators with the most engagement. The higher the number of views and engagement your shorts get, the more likely you will get paid for your efforts. This means they’ll be looking for the best shorts on YouTube.
Each month, the performance of your shorts will be evaluated and will be rewarded accordingly. This means each creator can get anywhere from $100 to $10,000 each month from the fund – an enticing incentive to start making the best short YouTube videos.
So, how can a creator qualify for participation in the fund? The following conditions will help prove your eligibility:
• You should be enrolled either in the YouTube Partner Program or the Multi-Channel Network.
• Upload at least one short video every 180 days.
• Your channel should abide by YouTube’s monetization policies, copyright rules and community guidelines.
• You need to be located in the U.S., India, Brazil, Japan, Indonesia, Nigeria, Mexico, South Africa, Russia or the U.K. to participate in the fund; they’re still working on expanding to other countries as well.
• You should at least be 13 years old (if you’re a minor, your parent should be in the video).
• Upload only original videos; no reused or repurposed videos.
How To Upload Shorts on YouTube
YouTube has provided a simple process for creators, and there’s no need to be a video marketing expert to make the best shorts on YouTube. But before moving forward, here are some requirements you should know about:
• Your video can only be 60 seconds long.
• You can create a continuous video or divide them into several 15-second segments (minimum YouTube Shorts size).
• Use vertical orientation.
• You can use YouTube’s audio library.
• You can also use audio from other shorts.
These rules apply to individual creators and any video marketing company using it for social media brand management. If you’re new to all of this, consult with a YouTube marketing agency to help you get started fast. There’s nothing like advice from a video marketing expert to fast-track your progress.
If you have a handle on all the requirements, you can start uploading videos on the YouTube app by tapping on the create button at the bottom-center of the screen. You can find the same button at the top right of YouTube’s homepage in your browser. From there, you can upload shorts you previously recorded or record them right away.
How To Make YouTube Shorts
If you have no previously recorded short videos, follow these steps to record the best short YouTube videos:
1. Open the YouTube app on your phone and tap the create button.
2. Tap the create button.
3. Tap “Create a Short.”
4. Allow the app to access the microphone and camera.
5. The recording page pulls up; adjust the video to your desired length. The default is 15 seconds.
6. Tap “Timer” if you want to record with a timer instead.
7. Tap “Filters” if you want to apply any filters.
8. Tap “Record” to start recording. Tap it again to stop.
The Undo and Redo buttons allow you to edit video segments, while the checkmark button at the bottom lets you add text and music. Tap “done” after completing all your edits and enhancements and add your video title. Finally, tap “Upload” to upload the short video.
More YouTube Shorts Best Practices
Now that you know how to upload shorts on YouTube, here are a few tips on how to make the best short YouTube videos.
• Don’t forget to add a #shorts hashtag on the title (YouTube uses it to promote short videos).
• Focus on making the first few seconds of your shorts truly captivating.
• Make sure to set the YouTube Shorts aspect ratio to 9:16, which is best for mobile devices.
• Keep your content snappy; don’t drag too long on a single topic.
• Switch to a different YouTube Shorts size for every video you make anywhere between 15 to 60 seconds; each one caters to a different audience.
• Pace your content and remember that shorts will loop during playback; think about replayability.
• Make your content relevant by adding trending songs, events and other viral content.
• Use tips and advice from the official YouTube Creators Channel.
• Make your video relatable and authentic by using behind-the-scenes clips and your own voice.
• Check out what’s trending on the YouTube Shorts community for inspiration.
• Partner with a video marketing company for more expert advice.
Leveraging the Services of a YouTube Marketing Agency
Creating short videos is easy, but churning viral content regularly is another matter. This is where a video marketing agency comes in. Leveraging YouTube video marketing services will be a big help to optimize your monetization efforts.
Thrive is a YouTube marketing agency with more than 15 years of experience in helping clients create viral content. We use a well-rounded approach to delivering high-quality video content.
We provide our clients with results-oriented YouTube video marketing services. Our team of experts can coach you on how to make YouTube shorts, monetize your content and optimize your video production process.