YouTube Shorts, characterized by its concise yet impactful format, has revolutionized the way we create and engage with content.
In a world where attention spans are precious, YouTube Shorts has emerged as a trailblazer. It invites brands to explore the potential of short-form videos in promoting products and building lasting relationships.
In this blog, we unpack the following topics:
• What Is YouTube Shorts?
• What Is the Ideal YouTube Shorts Length?
• How To Upload YouTube Shorts
• Understanding YouTube Shorts Monetization Policies
• YouTube Shorts Best Practices
• What Is the Best Time To Post YouTube Shorts?
Learn how a YouTube Shorts video can do wonders for your business.
What Is YouTube Shorts?
Introduced in India on September 14, 2020, and launched across the United States on March 18, 2021, YouTube Shorts quickly gained over 6.5 billion daily views globally. The platform then expanded its reach even further, entering beta-mode availability in 100 countries worldwide on July 12, 2021.
YouTube Shorts is a short-form vertical video format that focuses on bite-sized, engaging content. Launched as a response to the popularity of platforms like TikTok, Instagram Reels and Snapchat Spotlight, Shorts enables users to create videos of up to 60 seconds in length. They can also incorporate music, text and various creative elements.
YouTube Shorts empowers you to deliver information in a concise format and grow your YouTube channel. It lets you simplify complex ideas, share quick tutorials or participate in trending challenges.
One of the key features of YouTube Shorts is the vast music library available for creators. You can create YouTube Shorts featuring popular tracks and make the final output more engaging.
What Is the Ideal YouTube Shorts Length?
Shorts can take the form of either a continuous 60-second video or a compilation of several 15-second videos. However, Youtube Shorts length is restricted to 15 seconds if the video incorporates music from the YouTube catalog.
Research shows that the best TikTok video length is 7 to 15 seconds (Hootsuite). Similarly, aiming for brevity in your YouTube Shorts can help you grab and maintain your audience’s attention better.
How To Upload YouTube Shorts
Getting started with YouTube Shorts is a breeze, and all you need is the YouTube Shorts app on your mobile device. Here’s a step-by-step guide to creating engaging Shorts and building a successful YouTube channel:
Step 1: Download the YouTube App
To begin your Shorts journey, ensure you have the app installed on your device. YouTube has streamlined the process, opting for a single, convenient platform rather than prompting users to download yet another YouTube Shorts app.
Step 2: Create YouTube Shorts Video
• Open the YouTube Shorts app and tap the (+) icon at the bottom of the homepage.
• Choose “Create a Short” to kickstart the process.
• Record a 15-second clip by holding down the red record button, or tapping once to start and again to stop. Capture and upload videos in high YouTube Shorts resolution to create a more engaging viewer experience.
• Extend your video to a full 60 seconds by tapping the number 15 above the record button.
Enhance your YouTube Shorts video with creative elements:
• Add retouching effects with the magic wand.
• Adjust speed by tapping the 1x button.
• Align transitions seamlessly with the ghost icon.
• Apply filters using the three circles icon.
• Stick to the recommended YouTube Shorts resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels.
• Correct mistakes effortlessly by tapping the reverse arrow next to the record button.
• Integrate sound by tapping the “Add sound” icon; note that this step must be completed before recording or during the editing process.
• Set a countdown timer for hands-free recording with the clock icon.
• Switch camera views with the rotating arrows.
• Switch up your background with the person icon, incorporating a green screen or photos from your device.
Step 3: Edit and Upload
After recording, tap the checkmark to save your Short. Dive into the editing process by adding music tracks, text and filters. For more detailed edits, access the timeline icon to adjust when text appears. Once satisfied, hit “Next” in the top right corner.
Provide details for your Short, choose its visibility (public, unlisted or private), and specify if it’s suitable for children or requires age restrictions.
Once you’ve done the final touches, tap “Upload Short” to release your video.
Understanding YouTube Shorts Monetization Policies
To kickstart your earnings from Shorts, first accept the YouTube Shorts Monetization Module. These terms grant you the ability to earn revenue from ads and YouTube Premium in the Shorts Feed. Ad revenue sharing becomes applicable to eligible Shorts views from the date you accept.
Ineligible Shorts Views
Only Shorts that follow YouTube’s advertiser-friendly content guidelines will qualify for revenue sharing. Instances where ineligible Shorts views may arise include:
• Non-Original Shorts: Content that features unedited clips extracted from others’ movies or TV shows. This also includes reuploaded content from other platforms and compilations lacking the addition of original content.
• Artificial or fake views of Shorts, arising from automated click or scroll bots.
YouTube Shorts Best Practices
Here are tips on creating YouTube Shorts for greater visibility and traction:
1. Know Your Audience
Begin by analyzing your existing audience’s demographics, interests and behaviors through YouTube Analytics. Once you’ve gained insights into your audience, tailor your content to their preferences and interests. Consider the types of content that have performed well in terms of views, likes, and comments. Pay attention to the topics, styles and themes that have garnered positive responses.
2. Hook Users Immediately
The fast-paced nature of Shorts demands a compelling hook. Users seamlessly scroll from one video to the next, so you need to grab their attention within the first three seconds. Make sure your intro sparks curiosity and encourages viewers to keep watching. Experiment with different approaches to discover what resonates best with your audience.
3. Create a Strong YouTube Shorts Thumbnail
A visually appealing YouTube Shorts thumbnail and captivating title are key to more clicks and higher retention. Explore creative effects, high-quality visuals and seamless transitions that will make the viewer’s experience more enjoyable. Prioritizing optimal YouTube Shorts resolution ensures your content looks great on the platform.
4. Keep It Snappy
Unlike traditional full-length videos, YouTube Shorts require snappy cuts and edits. Focus on easily digestible content, such as viral trends, funny clips or behind-the-scenes glimpses.
5. Consider Replays
Shorts are played on a continuous loop, meaning that viewers may watch your content multiple times in quick succession. Think about how elements like visuals, captions and transitions will fare in this looping format. Make sure every element is engaging and retains its impact with each replay.
What Is the Best Time To Post YouTube Shorts?
The short answer is it depends on your ideal viewers. Follow these tips to maximize Shorts views and engagement:
1. Test Different Times: Try posting your YouTube Shorts at various times and on different days to see when your audience is most engaged. YouTube Analytics can help you measure content performance on varied posting schedules.
2. Consider Peak Activity Hours: Peak hours depend on your target audience groups. Users may be most engaged during weekends, lunch breaks or evenings after work or school. By choosing these strategic times, you’re more likely to reach users when they’re most attentive.
3. Maintain a Consistent Schedule: Once you’ve identified optimal posting times, create a consistent schedule for sharing your YouTube Shorts. This trains your audience to eagerly await your content at specific times, building brand awareness and engagement. Moreover, consistent uploads signal to the Youtube Shorts algorithm that you are an active content creator, potentially leading to higher placement in users’ feeds.
Create YouTube Shorts That Captivate and Convert
Building a successful YouTube channel involves staying attuned to trends and prioritizing the creation of high-quality visuals. At Thrive, we combine YouTube Shorts best practices with our passion for creativity and innovation.
From creating a solid YouTube Shorts thumbnail to helping you determine the best time to post YouTube shorts, our social media management team can help. We also specialize in brand management and content strategy and creation.
Mastering the YouTube Shorts algorithm involves creativity, consistency and strategic optimization. Book a consultation now and let us enhance your YouTube Shorts video strategy.