The human brain is hardwired to respond to movement. Human psychology dictates that attaching a non-textual element to a web page full of text provides a break in the user’s field of view, making it easier to spot. If you attach a video, you not only capture their attention but also keep your viewer engaged for longer. That’s why communicating your brand message through video can improve customer retention, which goes a long way to boosting conversions.
There’s no overstating the power of video marketing in your overall marketing strategy. If you’re still wondering about investing in video marketing for your business, look no further than our video marketing statistics 2021 compilation to make an informed decision.
We have scoured the internet for some of the latest video marketing stats to help you decide if your investment in video marketing is going to be worth it. (Spoiler alert: yes, it will).
So, whether you’re looking to work with a video marketing agency and invest in video production services or take it in-house, use our video marketing statistics 2021 guide to get all the information you need.
General Video Marketing Statistics 2021
According to recent video marketing stats 2021, it’s not just marketers who are using video to grab the attention of their target audience. Business owners have tapped video production services to produce video content for them with the hopes of attracting new customers through search engine optimization (SEO), specifically video SEO. No doubt investing in video marketing for lead generation will pay off somewhere down the line. Here are a few general video marketing statistics that prove it.
1. Over 86 percent of businesses rely on video as a marketing tool (Wyzowl, 2021).
Judging by these video marketing statistics, only 14 percent of businesses still haven’t decided to use video in their marketing activities. If you’re one of these businesses who are not convinced of the power of video marketing, read the rest of our video marketing stats 2021 list so you can make an informed decision.
2. For marketers who use video, 93 percent say it’s an essential part of their marketing strategy (Wyzowl, 2021).
An astounding 93 percent of marketers consider video marketing a critical component of their overall marketing strategy. Among those interviewed, this stems from the fact that video marketing generates a return on investment (ROI) that meets or exceeds their expectations.
3. Users retain 95 percent of a message when conveyed over video (Insivia, 2016).
Here are some interesting video marketing facts: The human brain naturally responds to videos because of three essential elements they possess. They contain visuals, sounds and motion, all of which combine to form a powerful medium to broadcast information. These factors contribute to how your message is perceived by the human brain, which is precisely why users retain more information from video than just text.
4. The most common types of videos created, according to video marketing stats, are explainers (73 percent), social media videos (67 percent), presentations (51 percent), sales videos (41 percent) and video ads (41 percent) (Wyzowl, 2021).
While it’s important to be consistent in your videos for branding, adding variety to your video marketing efforts keeps your audience engaged with fresh content ideas. Marketers use different video formats to convey different information and these are some of the most commonly used. If you’re unsure about what video formats to produce and how, you can always tap the video production services of a video marketing company to assist you.
Stats That Prove the Power of Video Marketing
Videos have the potential to affect almost all aspects of your digital marketing campaigns. It can positively impact audience engagement, email marketing, the rate of social sharing and web page visibility through video SEO. Check out some video marketing facts and statistics to add to our overall video marketing stats 2021 list.
1. Eighty-four percent of consumers said watching a brand’s video is the reason they were convinced to make a purchase or subscribe to a service (Wyzowl, 2021).
It’s no secret that videos are everywhere. Whether it’s on IGTV video, YouTube or a video you can stumble upon through video SEO, video content is present on every available channel. But the power of video lies not just in its ubiquity but also in its influence. After seeing a brand’s video online, 84 percent of consumers say they were convinced to make a purchasing decision. You can expect these video trends to continue as more marketers adopt video in their marketing strategies.
2. By watching a brand’s video, 83 percent of consumers stayed longer while browsing web pages (Wyzowl, 2021).
Dwell time refers to the amount of time a consumer spends on a web page. In SEO, dwell time is an important ranking factor because it signals that the user finds value in your content as they spend more time consuming information on that page. Simply having a video on the page increases the amount of time they spend on that page. Moreover, videos keep users engaged, which further increases dwell time.
3. Eighty percent of consumers say they still remember a video ad they watched in the past month (HubSpot, 2020).
This statistic further highlights the power of the human brain to retain information conveyed through video. Leveraging video in your ads potentially improves the impact they make on your buyer’s purchasing decision. Keep in mind, however, that quality matters. Add elements that make your video unforgettable, much like those old commercials you can still recall to this day.
Mobile Video Statistics
In a report published by Cisco in 2019, experts agree that the number of mobile devices and connections will reach 13.1 billion by 2023. As more users continue to adopt mobile technology, you can expect mobile internet traffic to increase along with it. Take a look at the following mobile video statistics to inform your mobile video marketing strategy.
1. Mobile users account for over 70 percent of YouTube’s total watch time (YouTube, 2019).
The majority of users on YouTube are on mobile because people prefer to be on their phones or tablets. According to YouTube video stats 2021, people are 1.5 times more likely to watch a video using their mobile devices. Take full advantage of these YouTube video statistics by staying updated on mobile video trends so you can provide your audience with an optimized mobile experience.
2. Users spend an average of 40 minutes a day watching videos on the YouTube mobile app (BroadbandSearch, 2020).
This accounts for the average viewing time of U.S. adults for all age groups. Statista offers more detailed mobile video statistics, breaking down viewing time for various age groups, which are as follows:
• 18-34 – 105 minutes
• 35-49 – 79 minutes
• 50-64 – 48 minutes
• 65 & over – 24 minutes
Social Media Video Statistics
Social media channels have their own unique identity when it comes to how they treat video content. Some platforms are made primarily for video content, while others use it as an additional way to drive engagement. We’ve compiled a list of general social media video statistics to aid your social media marketing efforts. We’ll also be looking at each platform individually, offering social media video statistics for each.
1. Ninety-three percent of brands have reported acquiring a new customer through their video marketing strategy on social media (Animoto, 2018).
Many brands now consider social media to be their primary lead generation channel, mainly because of the amount of success their campaigns have enjoyed. Through their marketing efforts, about 88 percent of marketers say they are satisfied with the ROI of their campaigns.
2. Before visiting a brand’s website, 58 percent of consumers will check out their social media page first (Animoto, 2019).
Optimizing your social profiles allows you to form a good first impression with your target audience. Start strong by leveraging video content to capture their attention while also providing enough information to keep them interested.
3. Eighty-two percent of consumers would rather watch a live mobile video than read social media posts (Vimeo, 2020).
Live videos are steadily becoming more popular among social media users. At the same time, they are also one of the best ways to create an authentic interaction. Some of the best ways to leverage live video content include live selling, Q&A sessions and holding live contests or games.
Facebook Video Marketing
• Fifteen percent of all content shared on Facebook is video (Social Insider, 2020).
Facebook videos are among the most popular forms of content on Facebook. The average engagement rate for Facebook posts across all industries is 0.27 percent, while Facebook video posts enjoy engagement rates as high as 6.01 percent.
• The optimal video length for videos that get the most engagement on Facebook is between two and five minutes (Social Insider, 2020).
There’s a good reason why the average Facebook video is shorter compared to the average YouTube video. Videos that exceed the five-minute mark receive higher abandon rates than those that fall within the recommended range. Adjust the length of your Facebook videos, add an interesting intro and share quality content to capture and keep your audience’s attention.
• Seventy-one percent of the content produced by Facebook accounts that have over 100,000 followers are made up of social video (Social Insider, 2020).
Social videos comprise the majority of the content shared by some of the most prominent pages on Facebook. It’s no secret that they’ve enjoyed much success through video, considering that video content is the most shared content type on the platform.
Instagram Video Marketing
• Instagram is the third-most-popular channel for hosting a social video after Facebook and YouTube (Biteable, 2020).
Instagram first introduced video in 2013 and then IGTV video in 2018. Despite being relatively new, sharing videos on Instagram has become one of its most popular features. Thanks to its addition, many brands now feature videos on the platform that are broadcast to over 1 billion monthly active users.
• Instagram Stories is the primary lead generation tool for 41 percent of marketers (Animoto, 2020).
Instagram Stories means brands and marketers no longer have to rely on just IGTV video to share their videos. With over 500 million people using Stories every day, integrating the tool in your Instagram video marketing campaigns can expand your reach and help generate more engagement.
• One in four consumers is convinced to make a purchase after seeing a video on Instagram stories (Animoto, 2020).
Instagram Stories is the perfect way to showcase what your business has to offer consumers. According to 58 percent of Instagram users, they became more interested in a product or service after seeing it on Instagram Stories. Leverage Instagram ads on Stories to elevate your Instagram video marketing campaigns.
• TikTok stats indicate that videos on the platform receive more than 1 billion views every day (Markinblog, 2020).
The latest TikTok stats show that the platform receives over 1 billion videos every single day. Those views are fueled by its recommendation engine, which recommends videos to users based on their watch history and interests. Expanding your reach with TikTok marketing connects you with warmer leads interested in your products or services.
• TikTok (29 percent) replaced Instagram (25 percent) as the most popular social media platform among U.S. teens, according to the latest TikTok statistics (Marketing Charts, 2020).
The latest TikTok stats say the platform is the most popular among U.S. teens. Suppose your target audience is primarily Gen Z. In that case, you should trust these TikTok statistics and start marketing on the video-sharing platform to improve brand awareness among TikTok’s younger audience.
• According to TikTok statistics presented by TikTok, 63 percent of ads with the highest CTR were upfront with their messaging (TikTok, 2021).
By upfront, we mean showcasing their product or service within three seconds of the video. The internet is infested with clickbait, so people have grown tired of deceptive marketing tactics. That’s why ads and TikTok marketing videos that appear authentic enjoy more success.
LinkedIn Video Marketing
• Although relatively new in video marketing, LinkedIn video has become one of the top three platforms for posting mobile video and video ads (Wyzowl, 2020).
LinkedIn video was launched in 2017. Despite just being four years old, it has already overtaken Instagram as a primary channel for organic video content after Facebook and YouTube, mainly because of its strong appeal for B2B marketers.
• Four out of five videos on LinkedIn are made for silent viewing (LinkedIn, 2018).
According to LinkedIn, videos that can be understood without sound are 70 percent more likely to be viewed by the user to the end. You can capitalize on this trend by building strong visuals and enhancing the user experience by adding subtitles.
• Native videos on LinkedIn are shared 20 times more often than other content formats on the professional social network (LinkedIn, 2018).
Organic videos that are uploaded on LinkedIn are gaining the most shares on the platform. But just because they’re more popular doesn’t mean you’re guaranteed to succeed with LinkedIn video. Optimize your video uploads (mobile video or otherwise). Start strong by aiming to capture user attention within three seconds, use high-quality visuals and use the right video length for a higher success rate.
Twitter Video Marketing
• Consuming Twitter video content is one of the top three reasons people use Twitter (Hootsuite, 2021).
Twitter is all about discovering different types of content. Among those that Twitter users love the most are videos shared by other users, news outlets, celebrities and their favorite brands. In fact, brand-related video content on Twitter is the third most popular (37 percent) type of content people want to see.
• Attaching Twitter video to tweets increases the number of engagements they can get by as much as 10 times (Twitter, 2019).
Because Twitter users love watching videos while on the platform, just the mere act of attaching a video to your post increases user engagement rate tenfold.
• Returns on promoted Tweets are higher when they contain Twitter video as they save 50 percent on cost-per-engagement (Twitter, 2019).
Twitter advertising data revealed that by attaching a video to Twitter ads, brands that advertised on Twitter saved more than 50 percent on cost-per-engagement. That means you can make your advertising budget more worthwhile when you attach a video to your Twitter ads.
YouTube Video Statistics 2021
YouTube is widely considered to be one of the largest search engines on the internet today. According to Alexa, it is second only to Google in terms of traffic and engagement, highlighting the significant reach of YouTube.
Are you planning to implement a YouTube video marketing strategy? Take a look at these YouTube video statistics to inform your video marketing strategy for higher views and more engagement.
1. More than 2 billion users log into YouTube every month (YouTube, 2021).
But those YouTube video statistics don’t tell the entire story, as they only count those with a YouTube account. YouTube is a free platform, so users without an account are still able to watch videos, meaning YouTube viewership may be significantly higher than reported.
2. YouTube video statistics 2021 show users spend about 19 minutes per day watching videos (Alexa, 2021).
That’s when you include the usage of users below 18 years old. Other YouTube video stats show much higher estimates. In particular, this report from eMarketer containing YouTube video stats 2021 shows that users aged 18 and above spend about 42 minutes per day watching YouTube videos.
3. Thirty-three percent of baby boomers use YouTube to learn more about a product or service, while the other two-thirds use it for entertainment (Google, 2019).
YouTube isn’t just for the younger generations. If baby boomers comprise a significant portion of your target market, then using YouTube can do wonders for your video marketing strategy – and these YouTube video stats show it. Take advantage of YouTube video statistics 2021 by creating a healthy mix of promotional and engaging content to boost the success of your campaigns.
4. Videos aimed at beginners saw 50 percent more views in 2020 (Google, 2020).
“Beginner videos” getting more views has been one of the more surprising video trends in 2020. These YouTube video stats show that more and more people turn to YouTube to learn a new skill or master skills they already have. You can capitalize on these video trends shown by YouTube video stats 2021 by including “how-to” marketing content that targets newbies in your video marketing strategy.
More Video for 2022?
The different video marketing facts we shared today highlight the importance of video marketing for your business. Whether you talk to an expert marketer or a video marketing agency, they will agree that investing in video marketing now promises to make a significant impact on your business, today and in the future.
So, are you ready to generate more success through video for 2022? Many marketers have made it a priority. Unfortunately, not many have the time or ability to do it themselves. That’s where our video marketing agency comes in.
Thrive is a full-service video marketing company that helps businesses like yours leverage the power of the statistics we shared above and more to positively impact your brand. Expand your reach and get started on the path to greater success today. Schedule a consultation with our video marketing company and let’s discuss a video strategy that works for you.