The eCommerce industry has experienced rapid growth over the past two years.
As businesses of all sizes dealt with the challenges brought about by the global pandemic, many recognized the importance of the internet to the survival of their trade.
According to eMarketer, the global eCommerce market is expected to reach $5.5 trillion in 2022 and multiply in the next five years. This shows the limitless potential of eCommerce as a profitable option for online brands.
With many online selling platforms to choose from, it’s natural to be confused about where to sell online. So, this blog outlines the top places to sell your offerings and why they are good options for your business.
Let’s dive in!
Shopify is a custom eCommerce platform and a well-equipped content management system (CMS) allowing anyone to set up and manage a business website with a monthly subscription. Today, Shopify is the third-largest retailer globally and is widely regarded as the best eCommerce platform for small business.
According to Hevo’s analysis of purchasing trends of online shoppers in the last year, the top products to sell on Shopify are workout equipment, vegan products, furniture and smartphone accessories.
• Easy to use: Shopify is one of the most accessible online selling platforms for beginners. When building an online store, everything you need to have is built into this custom eCommerce platform.
• High-quality designs: Shopify’s website builder has several customizable themes and design tools that come along with your subscription.
• Business-to-business (B2B) opportunities: Shopify is known among business-to-customer or B2C eCommerce, but its B2B functionalities are less discussed. But Shopify Plus merchants can also access convenient features for B2B transactions.
If you are new to establishing a business on the internet and wondering where to sell online, Shopify is an excellent place to start. Shopify is a good B2C and B2B eCommerce platform for its price and ease of use. It is the best CMS for eCommerce, allowing even those with limited technical knowledge to create and edit content easily. In addition, it recognizes the importance of omni-channel strategies in meeting the growing demands of the online marketplace.
Omni-channel marketing is the integration of various channels to create seamless customer experiences. To ensure the best shopping experience, Shopify created its Shop channel, a direct-to-consumer app and personal shopping assistant to make buying and order tracking easier for business owners and consumers.
Seek advice from a reputable eCommerce marketing agency to fully leverage Shopify’s features. Professionals know the top products to sell on Shopify and can create strategies that transform your online store into a functional, omni-channel eCommerce platform.
Amazon is the world’s largest online retailer and is one of the most influential economic and cultural forces globally. It sells anything you can imagine, including books, electronics, toys, music and movies. Despite some labor-related challenges, Amazon remains the best eCommerce platform 2022 and the top internet-based enterprise.
• Massive consumer base: Amazon is a billion-dollar company with more than 197 million daily site visitors. Its enormous customer base makes it the best place to sell online, and you can further scale up your profits by partnering with an Amazon marketing company.
• Customer trust: According to Investor’s survey on how much consumers trust tech companies with their personal information, Amazon ranks first with a Trust Index score of 71.5 percent.
• Functionality: Amazon’s Seller Portal contains everything needed to manage your product catalog, pricing, inventory, shipping rules and rates.
When picking out the best eCommerce platform 2022, Amazon always makes the list of viable options. It is a practical B2C and B2B eCommerce platform that offers an unmatched sales potential.
However, Amazon is a highly competitive marketplace. New businesses can get lost in the sea of merchants without the right strategies. For this reason, it is highly beneficial to collaborate with an Amazon marketing company to boost your presence on the platform.
3. Walmart Marketplace
Walmart Marketplace is an eCommerce platform that enables sellers to list their items on Walmart.com. It offers businesses an excellent opportunity to get their products in front of a massive audience. Currently, the platform has thousands of sellers offering a wide range of items, spanning electronics, fashion, household necessities and so much more.
• No inventory limitations: There are no stock-keeping unit (SKU) minimums or maximums in the platform, which means you can list a robust product range. This makes Walmart a powerful omni-channel eCommerce platform for your online business.
• Less competition: Walmart Marketplace currently has over 70,000 sellers. This is nowhere near Amazon’s numbers, making it the best place to sell online if you don’t want a lot of competitors.
• Create your return policy: Sellers have more control over return policies because you will be entirely responsible for fulfillment and customer service.
While Walmart Marketplace is relatively new, it’s quickly becoming one of the best players in the eCommerce game. So if you are searching for the best eCommerce platform 2022, Walmart should be high up on your list of considerations.
4. Target Plus
Target Plus is one of the world’s premier eCommerce marketplaces to cater to third-party retailers. It provides guests with a curated selection of products in popular categories like home, electronics and sporting goods.
• Gain more revenue: Being a third-party seller in Target’s custom eCommerce platform allows you to diversify your revenue streams. If something happens to one of your stores, you still have a reliable profit source to fall back on.
• Established brand: Being a household name, Target is an established, recognizable brand with a loyal following. Selling on this already popular site makes it easier to gain customers.
• Seller benefits: Target Plus includes a customizable storefront and in-store returns handling for sellers.
Unlike the other platforms outlined above, Target Plus is an invite-only program. Currently, there is no application process or waiting list. The company is very selective about who can join its online marketplace.
If you are already selling on this exclusive platform, leverage the expertise of an eCommerce marketing agency to optimize your store.
WordPress is highly popular for building all web pages and being the best CMS for eCommerce. According to Envisage Digital, there are over 455 million WordPress websites globally, and 28 percent of them are eCommerce businesses.
• Search engine optimization (SEO) friendly: Many consider WordPress the best eCommerce platform for SEO. It allows users to add meta tags to posts, images and titles. In addition, there are free extensions and plugins that magnify your site’s SEO potential.
• Responsiveness: WordPress themes have responsive capabilities optimizing your site’s performance on multiple devices.
Your website is the centerpiece of your online presence – the marketing efforts of each omni-channel eCommerce platform go back to your site. For this reason, you should choose an established CMS to build your store.
Whether you’re searching for a B2C or B2B eCommerce platform, WordPress is flexible enough to cater to your needs, whatever they may be. Take full advantage of the best eCommerce platform for SEO and work with an expert from an eCommerce marketing agency.
eBay is a marketplace that allows individual sellers and small businesses to sell various products and services worldwide. Every eBay member has a feedback score based on their trading experience on the platform. The more feedback a seller has, the more trusted they appear as a community member.
• Sell used items: New and used items can be sold on eBay, making it the best eCommerce platform for small business entities.
• Auction: Thanks to its auction feature, you can get a higher price for your item.
If you’re wondering where to sell online, eBay is a good choice. With a broad market of 183 million active users, it has remained one of the most popular online selling sites through the years. According to Statista, the site has a customer satisfaction rating of 79 percent.
For handmade and vintage items, Etsy is the best place to sell online. It is where consumers go when they can’t find what they want elsewhere. The platform was founded in 2005 to connect creators with customers looking for collectibles and personalized goods.
• Easy shop set up: Sellers, even those with less experience, can set up a shop within minutes.
• Low listing fees: You will be charged $0.20 for each item you list on the website.
Etsy is the best eCommerce platform for small business entrepreneurs offering niche products like arts and crafts.
Not all online selling platforms are created the same, so it’s essential to choose the most suited to your offerings. But no matter which one you decide on, having the right eCommerce marketing strategy is the perfect complement to maximize the returns of your new venture.
Whether you’re looking for a profitable marketplace or the best CMS for eCommerce, Thrive can help you get started. We are an internet marketing company that has helped businesses establish a solid and lucrative online presence with our tailored eCommerce solutions.
Call 866-908-4748 or fill out this form to get a free proposal from one of our experts.